As a kid, my sister and I had some interesting cubby houses. A wood shed. A caravan. A tree. And even an old rusty plough that we somehow made in to a house…(Keep in mind we lived on 5 acres in a country town). My kids are the age where they can have their first cubby to create their own memories in, so it was time to get my DIY on and create a space for them to play and let their imaginations run wild. The Summer Shack plus carport from Kidz Shack (find here) was the perfect base for me to makeover. It’s a great size and made from quality materials, so I know that it will be used for many years to come. When approaching the design for the house, I wanted not to be too “kiddy” as I want the kids to be able to grow with it and perhaps use it as more of a hang-out zone when they are older. After scouring the internet for inspiration, I settled on a black and brown boho style.
The Summer shack was delivered flat packed, so with drill in hand I put it together. It took me around 2.5 hours in total with a little help from my husband (ladies, I did 90% on my own 💪). Now, I built ours unpainted. If I were to do the project again, I would paint the individual pieces before assembling as it would be much easier! Painting was time consuming, mainly because I chose to use the different colours instead of painting one solid colour. Even though the cubby is sitting in our patio area under cover, I still chose to use Taubmans low sheen sunproof exterior paint wich you can find here from Bunnings. The two colours I went with which are also from Taubmans, are Coffee Break and Trendy. Find here. For the flooring, I kept with the natural theme and used the Smart Home Products blackbutt aquasmart plank flooring which you can find here.
When it came to decorating the cubby, I knew that I wanted to add in lots of greenery and natural toned and textured items that would contrast well against the black and brown. By combining both decorative items and kids play toys, it creates an on trend area that looks great and which the kids can continue enjoying as they get older. Full list of items featured below:
- Zohi Interiors 2 tier hanging basket. Find here.
- Zohi Interiors Teepee reversible outdoor floor rug. Find here.
- Walls Of Stories personalised wooden letters. Find here.
- Hello Red Hen felt ball garland. Find here.
- Tiger Tribe vintage tea sets. Find here.
- Final Touch Decor framed canvas wall art. Find here.
- Little Cove Living brass palm wall hooks. Find here.
- The Mindful Designer personalised toy box. Find here.
- In Good Order wood look labels. Find here.
- Seeya Collection shaggy cushion. Find here.
- Krash Home round ottoman. Find here.
- Bunnings artificial hedge. Find here.
- Bunnings bamboo screening. Find here.
- The Reject Shop artificial turf. Find here.
- The Reject Shop side table small round side table (old stock).
- Spotlight macrame wall hanging. Find here.
- Target round macrame wall hanging. Find here.
- Kmart toy kitchen, toy BBQ, kids chair, artificial bouquets, black hanging baskets, bulb solar lights, hanging cage solar light, baskets. Find here.